Sunday, 10 June 2012

The Fallen~Sparrow~Hawk; Napoleon


Napoleon
It was one step forward then two steps back then sudden leaps forward, then absolute sudden stand-stills, that describes my relationship with the Dagda aka Jeff. His tyranny could, I hoped for a moment, be due to a Scottish accent grafted on to a northern Irish one the barking manner of which people in Belfast speak; Ian paisley could make the words ‘Thank you’ sound like an insult…and yet Jeff looks like a western Christmas-card Jesus.
Stewart, who I like immensely, said, while taking me to Wigtown in his van so I could get a bus ticket to London, that he too had taken on a low-impact, environmental project and had, consequently become so fanatical with tunnel-vision that anyone who did not measure up to the ideal was summarily dismissed. Though the information gave me insight, it didn’t help. Nevertheless I didn’t go to London and fabulous things were accomplished like, for example, yesterday.
We, Stewart, Jeff (Dagda) and myself went to another community off the upper lowland walk, Ayrshire on an errand to fetch a yurt and ended up with a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig; a male boar, black and named (pending meeting) Napoleon, after George Orwell’s porcine character in Animal Farm.
A cage was improvised from pliant fence wire and a square metal cage. The openings were covered with the wire. The cage in the back of Stewart’s van; we had only to catch the pig. Neither Jeff nor I had caught a pig before. Stewart flatly refused to be involved.
“I’ll get the head, you get the back end”, I was volunteered. My adrenaline level went up; there was an unknown quantity in strength getting suspicious in an extremely filthy pen. Jeff was trying to bond with it by offering the pig half an avocado pear, my lunch; it wasn’t working. I thought Jeff was going to evoke the mighty heroes of Irish myth and legend in order to deal with the mighty energy of the pig, but I detected fear in his voice; adrenaline surge.
When I jumped into the pen, Jeff stood crest-fallen with the avocado. My movement made the pig run into an inner pen then run out again and the race began.
Liz, owner of the pig, suggested, from the other side of the gate that Jeff , “throw himself on the animal, wrestle it to the ground, then clamp its head”, and that someone else, (me), grapple hold of its hind quarters. Without the plank, jutting out, perpendicularly from one of the sides, into which the pig got stuck after a long drawn out chase, which involved  high-pitched nightmarish squeals, and Jeff barking like a mad man in his grimy plus-fours and old tweed poncho, (which Liz suggested he throw over the animal) – we might never have caught the him.
So, trapped a second time, we seized the opportunity, Jeff  straddled the neck, head-on, and with the squealing reaching a terrifying pitch, Jeff, in full rant, I felt, at everything  else on the planet; the whole becoming a shouting match between the pig and Jeff.
“I’ve got the legs! I’ve got the legs!” I shouted.
The pig, now in an embrace, we lifted it out of the pen and step by pig-squealing-Jeff-ranting-audience-encouraging-step we forced it into the cage where it quickly settled on to the bed of straw provided.
Jeff and I huffed and puffed as though we’d fought a Minotaur, (each others Minotaur more like).
We were to have taken the female but given her position in the pen with two others and the ordeal we’d had with Napoleon, we decided our good fortune began ended with one. And anyway, Liz, the owner, had become extremely fond of her girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment