Sunday, 19 February 2012

The Fallen~Sparrow~Hawk; Babes in the Woods

Babes in the woods 26, March 2002
Life at the Doon has settled into its normal pattern of peace and isolation. Since my return from Glasgow the weather has become markedly milder. The geese are migrating in a racket of twos and threes and larger groups, the days are longer and the gorse is in bloom. Maddy’s only a few days away or even hours away from giving birth. The other day I found her asleep on the Doon, a lone figure wrapped in green tartan facing her first labour. The midwives have come and left cases, oxygen bottles and sundry syringes in case they are needed.
Today Maddy is preparing a dinner. Tristan, her boyfriend, is an absolute treasure of a handyman and as well as being hansom is taking the whole business calmly. He has built wonderful shelves and a worktop. I feel absolutely pathetic in comparison.
I haven’t yet decided where I want to live though I suppose I could take over Maddy and Tristan’s bender when they leave in April. They have carpets and a beautiful space, but I have to make an effort if I am to stay here. One really has to be hands-on for this type of life. There would be some satisfaction in making a cosy nest rather than being ‘on the fence’ and betwixt and between re. this life-style.
The problem I have is money. My interpreting jobs are just not enough at present to sustain me. Ben has forgiven me for not paying the phone bill and there is a bill here that will need paying. I have to get money soon. E-mail is much cheaper.
Today was a conservation work day and last night Boggy brought his horse over called Azoule, meaning blue in Spanish. I quite like Boggy. It’s a shame he got drunk and burnt himself falling over the stove. We removed some old rusty fencing to make way for a paddock for goats and a horse. Azoule was yoked up and dragged some heavy trunks along the track.
Between here and maybe the end of April I have no money whatsoever so I must just starve. Mark might come to Glasgow for a few days which will be nice.
It would be nice if Jill Foster liked The Cuckoo’s Diary and had it adapted as a film. There are lots of fantastic characters, The Major, the Captain, D Deveer and the boys, Beccy and the governmental hunting party, Madhatter and Beanie and Mark Burrows the protagonist. It would really highlight hunting and the massacre would be a just sacrifice. Please, please. I will phone more publishers. Mark will probably print out more copies of The Cuckoo’s Diary. If it is accepted then I can go and help the screenwriter with it and watch the filming. It would mean money hopefully lots of it to party and live well. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment