For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow March 9. 2002
In Newton Stewart library are the Old Kirkyard Parish Memorials of Dunragit.
Francis Jolly who lost 5 children between the ages of birth and 15 yrs. Another Jolly also lost children.
I haven’t established if the slave was indeed a Jolly. I do, however, know that a painting exists. Today I phoned Elrig House. I tactlessly asked if it was open to the public and was curtly told no, probably by the laird. I rang back and spoke to a woman in an eastern European accent. She said she knew of the painting of the slave and that it was at Monreith House. Unfortunately, Sir Maxwell was presently away. I tried to phone Monreith House but got an answer message in a Yorkshire accent.
So, the painting is a mystery, or will Sir Michael Maxwell let it be seen? What does it depict? Why was the slave painted and who was the artist? Who ruled the house? How far back do the Jollys go? Is there a time when the name is untraceable?
No comments:
Post a Comment