A Full Moon 27-28 March, 2002
At quarter to midnight my mobile phone rang and Tristan’s voice announced, “Maddy is in labour….. The midwives willl be due within a few hours; I’ve given them your number.” As planned, Maddy hoped she would have her child on the full moon and, indeed, it’s a big juicy one with a thin wisp of cloud passing over her face like a coy lady behind a veil. Shortly after Tristan’s call, I received one from the midwife; she would arrive in about twenty five minutes. I said I would be waiting. It is my task to guide the midwives up the path and into the woods along muddy tracks and over burns up towards the Doon behind which Maddy and Tristan have erected a superb bender in preparation for the arrival of their child.
Ladened with oxygen cylinders in holdalls and numerous drugs we, Helen and Carol, wellies on and torches flashing, made our way to Maddy’s. As it is her first birth, labour could last well into the morning and beyond. Apart from Helen, (The first midwife to arrive), nearly hitting a stray bull on the road, it is all going fine. Maddys’ contractions are half an hour apart and Tristan seems calm having been awoken from sleep.
When the news came through of the labour I paged Brett and Jenny and left a message on Alison’s’ mobile. Having had a child here herself she, Alison, will probably not stir to investigate until tomorrow; Tristan will phone me once the baby is born.
I walked up on to the top of the Doon and offered a prayer to the moon and the Goddess for the safe delivery of the child and for Maddy’s health.
I was amazingly aware of the seasons today; the buds are on the trees, geese are coming and going, the days are miraculously longer and all this wonderful cycle of winter, spring, summer and autumn… and winter. Now, today is enhanced by the possible birth of a child, with a stray bull on the loose to boot!
No comments:
Post a Comment